If you love me, you will keep my commandments

Jesus said in John 14:15, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."  We saw before that God wants our love to be whole-hearted.  Now we will see that we must obey with the whole heart.

Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. 
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.

Psalm 119:34-37

In the post On Zeal, we read that the zealous man sees one thing, cares for one thing, lives for one thing.  Here we see similar words from the Psalmist.  What do your eyes look at? What do you delight in? What is your heart inclined to?

My heart is inclined to many things, not one thing.  Most are innocent, but too many are for selfish gain.  There is much I delight in, again mostly innocent, but I delight in it more than walking in the path of God's commandments. My eyes far too often gaze on worthless things.  Facebook video clips, anyone?

I can't conjure up love for God just by gritting my teeth and trying harder.  Rather, I need to ask him to give me understanding, to lead me, to incline my heart, to turn my eyes. Just a couple verses earlier (v 32) the Psalmist says, "I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart."  God's work in my heart is what will make me run in his ways and love him as he commands.

How do you see God working to enlarge your heart?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

On Zeal

The Many and the One